Monday, May 4, 2009

I'm all verklempt

Jewish mommies and Irish mommies have a lot in common especially when it comes to our children. Don't get me started on my baby boy or you'll never hear the end of it.

This past semester, #3 child o'mine, has taken up putting pen to paper. Finally, someone in our family has inherited the Irish trait of wordiness. She's emailed me her stuff to proofread and it has been a joy to watch her try to eke meaning out of the words all jumbled up in her head. She's just a fledgling and I have to be very careful with the critique. I know that the Critic has taken up residency on her left shoulder and is eager to bend her ear at a moments notice. At the same time I don't want to molly coddle her and tell her the piece is great if it isin't.

She telephoned me today after class to let me know that her piece had been well received by both professor and student. I'm all verlempt, I tell you, all verklempt...

No comments: